I’m busy re-installing my work notebook and decided to create a list of all the tools I’ll be installing – Hopefully this helps someone out there.
If you have any choice in the matter I would highly recommend using SSD drives – If you could only upgrade one thing in you PC then this should be it.
The software I’m planning on installing:
- Base image = Windows 7 x64, Office 2013, Antivirus, Full disk encryption 😦
- Chrome – Browser
- Firefox – Browser
- Lastpass – An essential tool to help you manage your passwords
- Crowd Rename – Tool for quickly renaming files
- Virtual Clone Drive – Mount ISOs to a virtual DVD drive
- Visual Studio – Best IDE ever 😉
- Update the Plugins – Menu:Tools-> Extensions & Updates
- Web Essentials
- Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2013 – Adds Database project templates to Visual Studio
- Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools – Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013 – BI tools
- ADO MD.Net (search for ENU\x64\SQL_AS_ADOMD.msi) – These client components provide the functionality for client and middle-tier applications to easily query data and metadata from an analytical data store, such as Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Resharper – Essential tool to help you code quicker and cleaner
- My personal ReSharper templates
- DotPeek – .NET decompiler
- SQL Server Management Studio – Best way to interact with Microsoft SQL Server – Make sure to get the latest version
- Irfanview – Image software. Useful for screenshots and basic image manipulation
- Notepad 2 – Just better than Notepad in every way
- JDK 8 – A good reminder of what the web looked like in the early 90’s 😉
- Android Studio
- FreeMind – Free Mind Mapping tool
- mRemoteNG – Remote desktop management tool
- Treesize – Tool that shows you which folders are using up the most space
- WinMerge – compare/synchronization tool
- GrepWin – Search for text in files
- WinRar – File archiving tool
- Create template for time based archive filenames
- 7-Zip – File archiving tool
Other Great tools, but I’m not currently using them:
- VisualSVN Server
- HardLink Shell Extention
Other useful tools, but much care is require when installing these!:
- FileZilla – FTP Client – WARNING Read the Installer Steps Carefully, otherwise it’ll install other rubbish!
- Unlocker – tool to release locked files and folders – WARNING Read the Installer Steps Carefully, otherwise it’ll install other rubbish!